SpringHill Suites by Marriott Launches Art on the Road Tour Across America to Showcase Influential Local Art Forms and Their Contemporary Masters
From unique blown glass creations in Seattle to the magnificent architecture of Chicago, art forms across America have sprung from both historic and modern influences. SpringHill Suites by Marriott, an all-suite hotel brand known for its appreciation of local art, launched Art on the Road: 10 Cities, 10 Explorations a journey to highlight some of the most talented contemporary artisans and their work across the country. Embracing style and design as key elements of the brand, SpringHill Suites inspires travelers to explore new destinations. Art on the Road is yet another avenue that allows guests and brand fans to experience the local flare.
To chronicle the local finds, SpringHill Suites teamed up with Ken Kaminesky, an international travel and lifestyle photographer whose work has been featured in National Geographic, among others, to capture images and write about his travel across the United States. In addition to featuring local art forms through pictures, Kaminesky will bring his entire sojourn to life as he makes his way from coast to coast, with 10 stops along the way.
“Art on the Road is an extension of SpringHill Suites’ commitment to offer our guests a way to discover destinations and connect with art through travel,” said Callette Nielsen, vice president and global brand manager, SpringHill Suites by Marriott. “We’re focusing on 10 cities and 10 art forms to spotlight the diversity and beauty that is represented in those areas.”
Art lovers across America can follow Kaminesky’s journey as he documents his whereabouts and discoveries on SpringHill Suites’ Facebook page at http://apps.facebook.com/artontheroad. Along the route, fans will have the chance to experience Kaminesky’s discoveries and win one-of-a-kind souvenirs from his journey.
“I’m passionate about travel photography, and discovering local art is a new way to see a city,” said Kaminesky. “Partnering with SpringHill Suites provides a fantastic opportunity to inspire others to make time to explore local art and experience the culture around them when they travel.”
Kaminesky will visit the following cities:
• Washington D.C. — Kaminesky’s tour will begin in our Nation’s Capital, focusing on the beauty of Cherry Blossom trees, first gifted to the U.S. in 1912. The incredible gift of 3,000 trees has withstood the test of time. And a century later, the blossoms still provide a rich, colorful and powerful inspiration for local artists.
• Boston — It comes as no surprise that Boston is the place in America for Irish culture. Today’s Irish-American artists continue to contribute to the art world, blending the contemporary with the traditional to create a truly “American” art form.
• Seattle — Outside of Murano, Italy, Seattle has the most glassblowing studios in the world. Today’s glass blowing artists are taking the medium to new arenas, incorporating emerging, modern styles into the more traditional techniques.
• New York City — New York City is one of the world’s central hubs for art. During the 1940s and 50s, New York abstract artists revolutionized the art world with radically different styles to create a brand-new visual language based on color, motion and the expression of universal truths.
• Chicago — Chicago’s architecture, simply known as the Chicago School, is famous throughout the world. As early as the 1880s, Chicago architects pioneered steel-frame construction and the use of large plate glass to give Chicago a truly unique skyline. Chicago’s iconic skyline is one of the most photographed in the world, and in the 1950’s, photography of Chicago’s architecture became a popular staple in art lovers’ collections.
• Minneapolis — First inhabited by the Dakota Sioux, Minneapolis is a city rich in Native American history and culture. Traditional Native American art and gifts, such as painting, bead-work, jewelry, blankets, drums, and sculptures, allow visitors to bring home a piece of this rich culture and help create a sense of unity with locals.
• Denver — Nestled among the majestic Rocky Mountains a mile above sea level, Denver was once a hub for frontier travelers heading west. Today, artists still convey the frontier life through a unique style of art.
• Las Cruces — A city founded in the arid New Mexico desert, Las Cruces has made a use for one of its most abundant resources: clay. Ceramics are a local specialty, embedded in the city’s culture through the countless generations influenced by both Native American and Latin American indigenous populations living in the region.
• Los Angeles — Local culture is often indicative of the surrounding landscape. True to form, the beach culture in Los Angeles has inspired artists to capture the majestic Pacific through painting and photography. These beach-inspired artists are occasionally surfers themselves, who turn their dreams of the perfect wave into photography, oil, acrylic and watercolor.
• Miami — Miami is the perfect example of a melting pot of culture, art, and flair. Miami’s vibrant, neon rhythms, white-hot nights, iconic architecture, and fiery personalities all root back to Cuban influences, and local art is no exception.
Sponsored by Hertz, Kaminesky will be exploring the cities on his journey, giving tips about navigating around the destinations and attractions. Continue checking the SpringHill Suites Facebook page, and for further information about SpringHill Suites, visit www.springhillsuites.com.
About SpringHill Suites
SpringHill Suites is ideal for business and leisure travelers who look for style and inspiration in their stay. Featuring suites larger than traditional hotel rooms, SpringHill Suites makes it easy for guests to spread out and fully enjoy their space. Launched in November 1998, the brand currently has more than 290 locations in the United States and Canada. SpringHill Suites participate in Marriott Rewards, the guest reward program that allows members to earn points or airline miles for each dollar spent during their stay at over 3,600 Marriott-affiliated hotels worldwide. For more information, visit www.springhillsuites.com.
Click here for Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR) company information.
Connect with firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com