Moxy Hotels 10/24/2016 – Berlin
Moxy Hotels, Marriott International’s Bold Experiential Brand, Debuts Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof With No-Holds-Barred Party Celebrating the Capital’s Prolific Underground Nightlife Scene, Creativity and Energy
Moxy Hotels, Marriott International’s experiential hotel brand, hosted an epic party inspired by the prolific nightlife culture in Berlin, showcasing the music, dance, art and sexual expression that are the lifeblood of the city, October 20, 2016. Moxy Berlin, located between the buzzing Mitte and the ceaselessly hip Friedrichshain districts, was the perfect playground for guests to leave their inhibitions at the door and explore the underground’s darkest desires through a corridor of hidden playrooms.
The event was attended by YouTube stars Taryn Southern, Oli White, and Jack Maynard with actresses Natalia Avelonand Grace Capristo and DJs ItaloJohnson, the faceless enigma trio as the headliners, who kept guests dancing well into the morning. Moxy Underground, a mash-up of Moxy’s wildest and most imaginative programming, featured eccentric live, interactive, art installations where guests were encouraged to write their deepest, darkest secrets on latex clad hosts,renowned Berlin tattoo artist Suzan Rinow inking guests, ‘Hungry’ and Mad Kate, legendary Berlin performance drag queen and performance artist respectively, with UY Studio creating bespoke club-kid wardrobe for the talent of the event.
The Moxy Berlin opening party also celebrated artist-in-residence, the British artist Paul Robinson, aka LUAP, the chosen artist of the brand’s #BlankCanvas global initiative, which calls on international emerging artists to submit works for the chance to feature their art at new Moxy hotels. Robinson created a light-box installation, featuring two large-scale photographs from his ‘The Pink Bear’ series, which are suspended from the ceiling in the hotel’s vibrant Living Room. ‘The Pink Bear’ series is best known for being featured in Cara Delevingne’s #Art4Animals campaign. LUAP was on-hand to direct his provocative live installation during the party. Moxy Berlin’s partygoers were able to engage with LUAP’s creation as ‘The Pink Bear’ came to life with his doll-like companion through transformational performances.
“Berlin has a unique character and culture and we wanted to celebrate that with the launch of Moxy Berlin.” said Osama Hirzalla, Marriott International’s Vice President, Brand Marketing and ecommerce for Europe. “Working with local talent from dance, music, performance art and fashion helped us create an unforgettable event– marking Moxy’s arrival in Berlin with a bang!”
The epic event launched the brand’s cheeky global Moxy programming– activities that encourage the next generation todo all the fun stuff they would never think of doing back home, in a stylish and vibrant setting.
“Moxy Hotels bring out the local flavor and energy of the cities they are in through the bold programming that speaks to the creativity of each location,” said Vicki Poulos Global Brand Director. “A good time at Moxy NOLA will be different to a good time at Moxy New York. No two events will ever be the same at a Moxy, just like no two hotels will ever look exactly alike. Our Fun Hunters have a deep desire to make room for spontaneity and live life unscheduled even on travel.”
A Moxy Hotel is a 24/7 spot for all things fun and impromptu. Moxy’s NOW + WOW communal spaces, including its Living Rooms, game rooms and bar, come alive with a thoughtfully-crafted assemblage of spontaneous and organic happenings designed to cater to travelers and locals who like to hang-out with their friends and meet new ones, without breaking the bank. Moxy is premium in every way but price– its affordability is not a sacrifice of style, nor a loss of comfort.
“Our high-energy Living Rooms and bars are thoughtfully designed to create environments that get friends new and old to have some fun in creative and playful ways,” said Toni Stoeckl, Vice President Marriott International’s Lifestyle Hotels. “Fun-hunters create the action; our living rooms are essentially their playground.”
Highlights from Moxy’s new brand-wide programing include:
- Lip Sync Battlesand spontaneous jam sessions inspire visitors to strut their vocal stuff outside of the shower at Moxy Berlin.
- At Moxy New Orleans, an eclectic and rotating mix ofDJs ignite the bar scene every Thursday night.
- At Moxy Milan guests can play their own music at the DJ console in ‘everyone gets a turn’ intervals.
- DJ Michael Hooker takes center stage, spinning UK Deep House in Moxy Tempe’s NOW public space.
For Health Nuts:
- Wellness enthusiasts visiting Moxy New Orleans can unwind during Acupuncture happy hour, hosted every Fridayin the Living Room. The 20-minute mini sessions are paired with healthy elixirs – with or without the booze.
- Pump #atthemoxyinvites New Orleans guests to join in on a 30-minute tabata high-intensity workout where local fitness experts encourage participants to get their sweat on through short bursts of pushups, mountain climbers, squats and more. These sweat sessions are for early risers – classes start at 7am.
- NamaStaypower yoga classes, led by local instructor Suki Plazola, are offered on the Moxy Tempe pool deck weekly.
- On Saturdaymornings at Moxy Tempe, guests can try HIIT it Up, an endorphin-boosting interval training class, led by trainer Meghan Ruel, in collaboration with Student Body Fitness.
- Moxy Munich Airport Hotel will host a weekly Relax Corner, where guests can enjoy pre- or post- travel pampering that includes mini head and back massages, as well as a nail tattoo station for mani art.
For the Saucy:
- At Moxy New Orleans, complimentary burlesque showsare presented monthly, hosted by Bella Blue, Headmistress of The New Orleans School of Burlesque.
- Cosmic addicts can indulge in Tarot card readings, crystal ball telling, and other astrological readings at Moxy New Orleans.
For the Cinematic:
- Every month, Moxy Tempe invites guests to watch al fresco screeningsof classic films like “JAWS” and “Pee-Wee Herman’s Big Adventure” under the stars, on the hotel’s pool deck.
For the Artsy:
- Adult coloring booksare available at all Moxy Hotels, giving grown-ups a nostalgic outlet for creative expression.
- The Crew at Moxy Milan and Moxy Munich host Instagram Contests, the best pic wins a cocktail from the bar.
- Moxy’s on-going #BlankCanvas initiative brings artists in residence to create original works of art to be featured on-property in permanent installations.
- Life-size Jenga®, adult Bingo, beer pong, Foosball, flip cup, scavenger hunts, trivia nights, and cornhole tournaments – complete with Moxy prizes, like free drinks, – up the ante for travelers looking for some healthy competition at all Moxy hotels.
- PlayStation contests on the Maxi screen of the Videowall are hosted every Wednesdayat Moxy Milan.
For (Liquid) Courage:
- Bars at Moxy Hotels double as the check-in desk, greeting each guest with a complimentary ‘Got Moxy’ cocktail upon arrival. The brand’s tasty signature cocktails (listed below) were designed with the traveling spirit in mind and are available at every Moxy hotel:
o Flash On Fleek blends botanist gin, Cointreau, fresh lemon, and organic simple syrup. It is garnished with an orange star, flash cotton and set aflame when served.
o Oaxacan On Sunshine is a nod to an Old Fashioned but features Mezcal and a Cocoa Nib from Oaxaca, the cocoa mecca of Mexico. (Insider fact: this cocktail has quickly ignited a Moxy tradition – anytime this drink is ordered, the bartender will call out ‘Oaxacan On Sunshine’ and the rest the Crew shout out ‘whoa oh’!)
o Got Moxy, a Bacardi Cherry Rum infused cocktail combining fresh lime juice, simple syrup, Bordeaux cherry syrup and spiked with a liquor soaked cherry, was inspired by New Orleans’ obsession with ‘snowball’ shaved ice treats.
Moxy Hotels is a fresh and innovative brand combining stylish design and approachable service at an affordable price point. Moxy Hotels fully embraces today’s fun-hunting traveler with smartly designed tech-enabled rooms featuring motion sensor lighting; internet TV in-room featuring Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Pandora and Crackle; selfie photo booth elevators; Moxy Digital Guestbook; abundant power and USB outlets; furiously fast and free Wi-Fi for ultimate connectivity; and Moxy ‘B&F’ (beverage & food) strategy that offers 24/7 self-service to give guests access to what they want, when they want it.
Moxy Hotels first launched in Milan in September 2014. Moxy Tempe and Moxy Munich Airport opened in March 2016, followed by Moxy New Orleans in May 2016, Moxy Frankfurt Eschborn in August 2016 and Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof in September 2016. The brand is entering the market in a bold way, with several additional identified projects slated for major metropolitan locations including New York City, San Francisco, Nashville, Seattle, Chicago, Oslo, Aberdeen, and London.
Moxy guests who are members of the award-winning Marriott Rewards loyalty program will get exclusive access to even more digital features through the Marriott Mobile app when they book direct, including mobile check-in and checkout, keyless entry and Mobile Requests to make their travel experience seamless. Marriott Rewards members will also earn points for their stay at Moxy Hotels and can redeem for hotel stays across the Marriott Rewards portfolio of brands.
To learn more about Moxy Hotels, please visit www.MoxyHotels.com.
– Follow Moxy on Instagram https://instagram.com/moxyhotels/
– Watch Moxy on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/MoxyHotels
– Engage #AtTheMoxy
– Watch the Moxy Manifesto video here http://moxy-hotels.marriott.com/our-story
NOTE: The statements about the expected future growth of Moxy Hotels are “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of federal securities laws, not historical facts, and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, including supply and demand changes for hotel rooms; competitive conditions in the lodging industry; relationships with clients and property owners; the availability of capital to finance hotel growth; and other risk factors identified in Marriott International, Inc.’s most recent quarterly report on Form 10-Q; any of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in or implied by our statements. These statements are made as of the date of this press release, and we undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
About Moxy Hotels
About Moxy Hotels: Moxy Hotels is Marriott International's new millennial‐focused brand that debuted in September 2014 with the opening of the Moxy Milan. A boutique‐hotel concept for the next‐Gen traveler, Moxy is a fresh and innovative brand combining stylish design and approachable service at an affordable price point. With tech‐enabled rooms, vibrant lobby spaces and warm, modern service, Moxy aims to surprise travelers with a thoughtful, spirited and fun guest experience. To learn more about Moxy Hotels, visit www.MoxyHotels.com.
About Marriott International, Inc.
Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 6,000 properties in 122 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts. The company’s 30 leading brands include: Bulgari®, The Ritz-Carlton® and The Ritz-Carlton Reserve®, St. Regis®, W®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, The Luxury Collection®, Marriott Hotels®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Renaissance® Hotels, Sheraton®, Delta Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Tribute Portfolio™, Design Hotels™, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, Four Points® by Sheraton, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Aloft®, Element®, Moxy® Hotels, and Protea Hotels by Marriott®. The company also operates award-winning loyalty programs: Marriott Rewards®, which includes The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®, and Starwood Preferred Guest®. For more information, please visit our website at www.marriott.com, and for the latest company news, visit www.marriottnewscenter.com and @MarriottIntl.