Classic Apple Pie Recipe
Happy Thanksgiving from Marriott International!
Flakey Pie Dough Ingredients
12 ounces all purpose flour,
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
8 ounces cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
3/4 cup ice water
Flakey Pie Dough Baking Instructions
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add half of butter and process until incorporated (mixture should look like coarse meal). Add remaining half of butter, and pulse just to combine.
2. Combine vinegar and ice water. Add about half of the water to flour mixture, pulse until just incorporated. Add more water, a little at a time, and pulse until dough is just moist enough to come together when squeezed. (You will need ½ cup to ¾ cup water total.)
3. Divide mixture between two sheet of plastic wrap. Press mixture to bring it together. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
4. Roll each disk of dough to a 12-inch (30 cm) round. Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
5. Use as directed in recipe.
Apple Pie Ingredients:
as needed acidulated water
4 pounds Granny Smith Apples
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ cup (1 ¼ oz) all purpose flour
½ cup (3 ½ oz) granulated sugar
¼ cup (1 ¾ oz) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 recipe Flakey Pie Dough (below), rolled into 2 sheets, chilled
Apple Pie Baking Instructions:
1. Peel apples and immediately transfer to acidulated water. Cut flesh off of core and slice apples lengthwise, about 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
2. Add flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg; toss until thoroughly combined.
3. Line a 9-inch (20cm) pie plate with one sheet of pie dough, letting excess hang over. Pile apple mixture in dough, packing down to fit.
4. Lay remaining sheet of pie dough on top, trim top and bottom to a 2-inch (5cm) overhang, fold under and crimp. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Cut 5 vents in center of dough.
5. Bake pie at 425F (220 C) for 15 minutes to set the crust. Reduce heat to 350F (175C) and bake until apples are tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. Tent with foil if pie is over browning. Let cool at room temperature, at least 2 hours.