The faster, easier and more convenient mobile check-in from Marriott Hotels, the signature brand of Marriott International is now available at 20 additional Marriott hotels* in 19 countries including United Kingdom, Mexico, United Arab Emirates and India. First launched at 329 hotels in the U.S. and Canada, the mobile check-in feature on the Marriott Mobile App has expanded internationally, representing the broadest mobile offering of its kind in the lodging industry.
According to research by GroupM Next*, 57 percent of business travellers aged 21-39 use their smartphone to book a hotel. These younger travellers are also more likely to use mobile devices to enhance their travel experiences. Marriott Hotels expects to complete the full global roll out of mobile check-in at all 500 hotels, as well as offer check-out functionality, in the first half of 2014.
With the Marriott Mobile App, check-in is simple. Marriott Rewards members, who have downloaded the app, can check-in through a smartphone as early as 4 pm the day before arrival, receiving an automatic notification when the room is ready. On arrival, Marriott Rewards guests simply go to the expedited mobile check-in desk where a key card will be ready and waiting.
“As Marriott developed the app and tested mobile check-in, we engaged customers, asking for their feedback to perfect the experience and learn what mattered most to them,” said Paul Cahill, senior vice president of brand management for Marriott Hotels. “Mobile check-in is just the start. Our guests are more mobile and global than ever before and technology is increasingly important to them, which is why we will add check-out next year. We will continue to solicit feedback from our guests as we enhance the travel experience with Marriott.”
The brand’s mobile innovation will continue as Marriott Hotels has launched 12 mobile “incubator” hotels in the U.S. to test future mobile enhancements. Guests at those hotels can make service requests using their smartphones. The most popular guest requests so far include additional towels, wake-up calls and housekeeping.
Further innovations from Marriott Hotels
- Future of Meetings – Marriott Hotels is introducing a number of initiatives to refresh meetings. New meeting spaces with stylish design, natural light, flexible seating and wireless or web enabled technology enable planners and attendees to focus on the meeting objectives. Marriott properties in Munich and Amsterdam feature the new design with the London Kensington Marriott and Paris Marriott Rive Gauche following early next year. The Red Coat Direct app enables meeting organisers to adjust and edit their meeting requests and preferences with a touch of a button and without ever leaving the meeting room. Currently available in 35 Marriott hotels in Europe, Red Coat Direct will roll-out globally in early 2014.
- Greatroom lobby concept - An open and flexible lobby space for guests to use for business, leisure or time to themselves. They will be stylish, modern, comfortable and welcoming with all day menus for light bites and meals and full access to technology from Wi-Fi to power points. The brand expects to introduce the concept at every Marriott Hotel by the end of 2015
- Guest room - In The Underground – the company’s subterranean innovation lab – Marriott Hotels is working on the next generation guest room. The lab offers rapid prototyping with frequent travel program that allows members to earn hotel points or airline miles for every dollar spent during each stay. For more information, visit www.MarriottHotels.com.
To join the ongoing Marriott conversation, like us on Facebook (Facebook.com/Marriott) and follow us on Twitter (Twitter.com/Marriott, @Marriott).
About Marriott.com & Mobile
Mobile check-in is part of the free Marriott mobile app available in the Apple iTunes Store and Google Play. Learn more about mobile check-in at http://travel-brilliantly.marriott.com/our-innovations/check-in-app
The Marriott Mobile App has been downloaded over 2.5 million times, and Marriott.com receives over 4.5 million visitors a month from smartphones.
*The 20 international hotels offering mobile check-in are:
• Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
• Brussels Marriott Hotel
• London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
• Prague Marriott Hotel
• Zurich Marriott Hotel
• Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit
• Bangalore Marriott Hotel Whitefield
• Goa Marriott Resort & Spa
• Manila Marriott Hotel
• Singapore Marriott Hotel
• Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Caribbean & Latin America
• Bogota Marriott Hotel
• CasaMagna® Marriott Cancun Resort
• Panama Marriott Hotel
• Santiago Marriott Hotel
• San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Middle East & Africa
• Amman Marriott Hotel
• Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
• Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel & Suites
• Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
*Source: GroupM Next, September 2013; GBTA, August 2013; blog.librarypd.com, July 2013
Visit Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR) for company information. For more information or reservations, please visit our web site at www.marriott.com, and for the latest company news, visit www.marriottnewscenter.com.Read more