Marriott International, Inc. (Nasdaq: MAR) (“Marriott”) today released its 2020 Serve 360 Report presenting data from 2019, including progress toward the company’s 2025 Sustainability and Social Impact Goals. The Report can be accessed here.
In support of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Marriott’s sustainability and social impact platform, Serve 360: Doing Good in Every Direction, guides the company's commitment to make a positive and sustainable impact wherever it does business, delivering value for associates, customers, owners, the environment, and communities around the world.
In addition to showcasing data on company diversity, environmental footprint, volunteerism, and other environmental, social, and governance (ESG) activities, 2019 highlights include:
- Trained more than 725,000 associates in human trafficking awareness since 2016, in pursuit of the company’s goal to train 100% of on-property associates by 2025
- Achieved goal of spending $500 million at managed hotels and above-property with women-owned businesses one year ahead of schedule
- Launched efforts to replace single-use toiletry bottles in guestroom showers with larger, pump-topped bottles – when implemented across the globe in the future, expected to prevent about 500 million tiny bottles from going to landfills annually – in support of Marriott’s goal to reduce waste by 45% by 2025
In addition to 2019 progress, the Report includes a letter from Arne Sorenson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Marriott, which highlights some of the many ways hotels and associates have been responding to the events and challenges of 2020, such as:
- Launched Marriott Global Cleanliness Council to elevate cleanliness standards and hospitality norms and behaviors to meet the new health and safety challenges presented by the current pandemic environment
- Hotels donated essential items to front-line and medical workers, families, and community groups, as well as event space to help non-profits adhere to social distancing protocols and meet an increase in demand for their services. For example, U.S. hotels hosted nearly 300 blood drives with the American Red Cross and the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center donated 40,000 square feet of event space to Washington, D.C.-based Capital Area Food Bank
- Partnered with American Express and JPMorgan Chase to provide $10 million worth of free hotel stays for frontline healthcare workers, doctors, and nurses
- Built on the company's long history of prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion by collaborating with expert community partners, enhancing internal talent development programs, engaging associates, and using Marriott’s voice to advance solutions that address barriers to equality and opportunity
From emphasizing human rights protections and working with leading non-profits to reducing our environmental impacts and operating sustainable hotels, Marriott continues to prioritize efforts to serve its communities, the planet, and people worldwide – and to provide transparent updates along the way.
More details about our ESG efforts and Serve 360 can be found at Marriott.com/Serve360.
Marriott International, Inc. (Nasdaq: MAR) is based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, and encompasses a portfolio of more than 7,500 properties under 30 leading brands spanning 132 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts all around the world. The company offers Marriott Bonvoy™, its highly-awarded travel program. For more information, please visit our website at www.marriott.com, and for the latest company news, visit www.marriottnewscenter.com. In addition, connect with us on Facebook and @MarriottIntl on Twitter and Instagram.